Sunday, September 26, 2010

Are You Prepared For The World, Today?

A boy comes down the stairs
To sit at the breakfast counter
Southern cuisine awaits him
He blesses his food
Grabs his fork
Morning, mother
She turns around from the stove
Morning, son, hurry so that you will not miss the bus
Yes, mother, I am aware of the time
How did you sleep
I slept well
He drinks his water and guava juice
Mom, he says
Today will be hard for me
She stops what she is doing to smile at her child
He continues
Today will be hard because
Everything will be new
I am not so certain that I know what to do
Still smiling, she moves toward her son
What do we say when things get hard
He looks up from his plate
He starts
Everyday is a new day
Full of blessings
Things new and unknown will happen
So I carry the Word of God
In my heart and on my tongue
To safeguard me
From hurt and danger
The mother proud of her young son
Says are you prepared for the world today
He stands to his feet
Mother, I know I am prepared
He declares
Thanks for reminding me
Good son, you know I love you
Go catch the bus, now
He runs to grab his backpack
Then to the door
He stops before running out
To go hug his mother
As they embrace
The mother thinks
Is she prepared for the world
She has to face today

No comments: